Newmachar

The village of Newmachar is within easy reach of Aberdeen, just under 10 miles north-west of the city centre – located on the A947 road between Dyce and Oldmeldrum. Originally known as Summerhill, Newmachar was established in the early 17th century forming a new parish of St. Machar’s Cathedral.

Population

2460 people

Distance from Aberdeen

9 miles

Transport

Regular bus service from Aberdeen

Education

Primary School

Newmachar Primary School

Secondary Schools

Dyce Academy

Newmachar is situated on the route of the old Formartine and Buchan railway, which linked the towns of Peterhead and Fraserburgh with Aberdeen. The railway opened in 1861 and was in use until 1979. The line now forms part of the Formartine and Buchan Way, a 53 mile public footpath which leads from Dyce to Peterhead and Fraserburgh.

Newmachar Golf Club can be found just a couple of miles south of the village. The club is home to two very well regarded 18 hole golf courses, Hawkshill and Swailend, with the former widely acknowledged as being the more challenging of these two par 72 courses.

Looking for a property in the Newmachar area? Let ASPC help. Our site contains a comprehensive listing of Newmachar houses for sale as well as rental properties. Use our property finder to find out what’s available today.

Further information on Newmachar is available at http://www.touristnetuk.com/scotland/aberdeenshire/towns/newmachar.asp